Since its founding on 2 December, 1971, the United Arab Emirates has embraced the principles of peaceful co-existence, mutual respect and non-interference in other countries internal affairs as cornerstones of the country's foreign policy.
Building on the legacy of the UAE founding father, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the visionary leadership of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, continues the journey by actively contributing to the welfare of nations regardless of colour, race or ethnicity. This trait stems from the profound Islamic beliefs in peace and tolerance.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reflects the bright face and character of the UAE’s society. It serves as a window to the outside world, communicating the thoughts and vision of the UAE leadership, asserting the values of peaceful co-existence, and lending assistance to all those who might need it. Furthermore, the Ministry also the importance of attaining global peace and amicably resolving international disputes through dialogue and legal arbitratioin.
Through its embassies and diplomatic missions around the globe, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs serves as the link between the wise leadership and people of the UAE and the rest of the world. The Ministry, strengthening friendship and closer ties with other nations, is working hard to safeguard the interests of Emiratis and promoting economic and cultural development and peace in the world. These efforts have earned UAE citizens considerable respect all around the world, and raised the image of the UAE on the regional and international stage.
The Ministry undertakes several responsibilities as stipulated by the constitution of the UAE and federal laws and in line with the country's principles. As per Cabinet Resolution Number 6 of 2001 on organisational structure, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is mandated to carry out several tasks and special interests, including:
- Charting the country's foreign policy, supervising its execution and coordinating with other relevant authorities.
- The Ministry also supervises all foreign relations, including organising the country's participation in organisations, conferences, and exhibitions.
- Protecting the interests of the country and its citizens abroad.
- Entering into pacts and conventions that the country is committed to.
- Gathering, analysing and evaluating political and economic information, organising communications between the country's ministries and related departments, and between agencies and governments.
- Promoting the image of the country and its values and policies.
- Conducting all ceremonies and formalities for missions that represent the country.
- Issuance and renewal of diplomatic and special passports for citizens, issuance and renewal of ordinary passports for UAE citizens abroad.
- Providing visas to enter the country or for transit on ordinary or diplomatic passports.
- Preparing and providing diplomatic, consular, administrative and financial information that enables the country's representative missions to conduct their tasks and overseeing the country’s diplomatic and consular missions.
The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the Founding Father of the UAE, laid the country's foreign policy cornerstones. He once said that, “The foreign policy of the UAE aims to support legitimate Arab and Islamic issues and interests and strengthen friendship and collaboration with all other countries, based on UN Conventions and internationally recognised morals and ethics. Our young country has achieved tremendous success on the international level, thanks to the noble and progressive principles our country has built. Our policy is based on the principles of legitimate rights, justice and peace, and is driven by our faith that peace is an urgent need for humanity.”
For more information about the organisational structure of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, click here.