On September 18, 1991 the United Arab Emirates recognized Latvia as an independent state. Following the recognition, both parties established diplomatic relations in 1995 and since then continued to develop closer ties. There is an intensive bilateral dialogue, exchange of high-level visits, cooperation in international organizations and expansion of legal basis between both countries. Currently, the Ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to the Republic of Latvia is H.E. Mrs Hanan Khalfan Obaid Ali Al Madhani, who was accredited on 23 January 2017 The Ambassador of the Republic of Latvia to the United Arab Emirates is H.E. Mr Atis Sjanīts, who was accredited on 12 November 2019 H.E. Mr A.Sjanīts is the second resident Ambassador of Latvia in the UAE. Since 15 October 2017, H.E. Mrs Astra Kurme represented Latvia in the United Arab Emirates.
The following legal bases exist between the two countries:
- Memorandum of Understanding on Mutual Recognition of Driving Licenses Issued by the United Arab Emirates and the Republic of Latvia – into force since 28 April 2017
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Latvia and the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment of the United Arab Emirates on cooperation in agriculture – into force since 26 February 2017
- Agreement on Economic Cooperation between the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the United Arab Emirates - signed 8 May 2016.
- On 6 May 2015, in Brussels, the United Arab Emirates and the European Union signed a reciprocal bilateral short-stay visa waiver agreement exempting the UAE citizens from Schengen visa.
- Since 22 March 2014, Latvian citizens can travel to the UAE visa-free.
- Air services agreement between the United Arab Emirates and the Republic of Latvia – into force since 19 June 2015
- Convention between the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the United Arab Emirates for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income and on Capital and its Protocol – into force since 11 June 2013
- Memorandum of understanding on the establishment of a mechanism for political consultation – into force since 10 March 2013