Since its establishment on December 2nd , 1971, the United Arab Emirates has embraced the principles of peaceful coexistence, mutual respect and non-interference in other countries' internal affairs as cornerstones of the country's foreign policy.
Building on the legacy of the UAE founding father, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the wise visionary leadership of H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE continues the march by actively contributing to the welfare of nations regardless of color, race or ethnicity – a trait that stems from profound Islamic belief of peace and tolerance.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC) reflects the bright face and character of the UAE Society and serves as its window to the outer world, communicating the thoughts and vision of the UAE leadership, asserting the values of peaceful coexistence, and lending help and assistance for all those who might need it. The Ministry stresses the importance of attaining global peace and amicably resolving international disputes through dialogue and legal arbitrary.
Through its embassies, directorates and diplomatic missions around the globe, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation serves as the connecting link between the wise leadership and people of the UAE on one side and the whole World on the other side. The Ministry, while striving to strengthen friendship and collaboration ties with other countries, is working hard to safeguard UAE people interests and to enhance the economic and cultural development and peace in the world – efforts that have earned the UAE citizens wide respect everywhere in the world, and promoted the image of the UAE on the regional and international settings.
The Ministry undertakes several responsibilities as stipulated by the constitution of the UAE and federal laws and in line with the country's principles. As per to the Cabinet resolution No. 6 of (2001) on the organizational structure, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation is mandated with several tasks and specializations that include:
- Settings the country's foreign policy, supervising the execution thereof, and coordinating with other competent authorities in the country.
- The Ministry also undertakes the supervision of all foreign relations, including: organizing the country's participation in organizations, conferences, and exhibitions.
- Protecting the interests of the country and its citizens abroad.
- Entering pacts and conventions that the country is willing to seal.
- Gathering, analyzing and evaluating political and economic information, organizing communications between the country's ministries and related departments and between agencies and governments.
- Promoting the image of the country and its values and policies.
- Conducting all ceremonies and formalities for missions that represent the country.
- Issuance and renewal of diplomatic and special passports for citizens, issuance and renewal of ordinary passports for UAE citizens abroad.
- Providing visas to enter the country or for transit on ordinary or diplomatic passports.
- Preparing and providing diplomatic, consulate, administrative and financial information to enable the country's representative missions to conduct their tasks, and supervising all the countries diplomatic and consulate missions.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has appointed four Emirati women as ambassadors in Spain, Montenegro, the Consul-General of the UAE in Milano, and the Permanent Representative of the UAE to the United Nations in New York, asserting that women represent an integral part of the UAE society, whose efforts contribute, along with their fellow Emirati men, towards catalyzing the sustainable development the UAE is witnessing.
The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founding father of the UAE, laid the cornerstones of the country's foreign policy. He once said: “The Foreign policy of the UAE aims at advocating for legitimate Arab and Islamic issues and interests and strengthening the friendship and collaboration ties with all other countries, based on the UN convention and the internationally recognized morals and ethics. Our young country has achieved tremendous success on the international level, thanks to the noble and progressive principles on which our country has been built.. Our policy is based upon the principles of legitimate rights, justice and peace, and is driven by our faith that peace is an urgent need for the human mankind. ”