The Immigration Departments in the United Arab Emirates have lately taken
significant measures regarding the issuance of visa, which will ease and facilitate
the traveler’s journey to the country. Therefore, various types of visas have been
released depending on the purpose of entry. For more details, please visit the website
of the UAE Ministry of Interior.
Only Ordinary passport
A German citizen will be granted a visit visa free of charge on their arrival to the UAE. The ordinary passport will simply be stamped with the visit visa when passing through the immigration section at any airport of the UAE. German citizens may stay for a maximum period of 90 days in any 180 – day period.
Only the German Ordinary- Diplomatic - Service passport will be accepted
Passport Validity: 6 months from the date of departure.
Entry with provisional passports is no longer possible.
Foreign spouses of German citizens are required to have a visa before departure and this depending on the nationality. Please check the table for Non-German citizens for more details.
The European Union and the Schengen region are exempted from the state's entry visa on the principle of reciprocity.
Citizens or holders of passports issued by EU states listed below (Diplomatic – Official- Service –Ordinary) are exempted from UAE Entry Visa Requirements, according to reciprocity. They may stay for a maximum period of 90 days in any 180 – day period.
1- The Federal Republic of Germany
11- The Italian Republic
21- The Kingdom of the Netherlands
2- The French Republic
12- Kingdom of Sweden
22- Duchy of Luxembourg
3- Swiss Confederation
13- Republic of Austria
23- Kingdom of Belgium
4- Kingdom of Norway
14- Kingdom of Denmark
24- Portuguese Republic
5- The Slovak Republic
15- The Greek Kingdom
25- The Republic of Finland
6- The Spanish Kingdom
16- Republic of Latvia
26- Principality of Liechtenstein
7- Republic of Iceland
17- Republic of Slovenia
27- Republic of Croatia
8- Czech Republic
18- Republic of Poland
28- Hungarian Republic (Hungary)
9- Republic of Bulgaria
19- Republic of Estonia
29- Republic of Lithuania
10- Republic of Cyprus
20- Republic of Malta
Countries whose ordinary passport holders may enter the UAE without the need for a prior visa and stay for a period not exceeding 30 days in accordance with ministerial decisions:
15- New Zealand
2- United States of America
16- Republic of Singapore
3- Kingdom of Malaysia
10- Brunei Sultanate
17- Republic of San Marino
18- Republic of Korea
5- Vatican City State
12- United Kingdom
19 Hong Kong
6- Republic of Ireland
13- People's Republic of China
20- Russian Federation
7- Republic of Mauritius
14- Republic of India
Countries whose ordinary passport holders can enter the country on the principle of reciprocity
2- People's Republic of China
4- Argentine Republic
For more information about UAE visas (types, fees, and requirements, please visit the following page:
Important for travel document holders:
The Embassy of the U.A.E. in Germany and the Immigration Office in the U.A.E. cannot issue visa for travel document holders.
- Diplomatic & Service passport holders please contact the Embassy via email for more details.
- Ordinary passport holders are kindly requested to obtain a visa according to the immigration law in the United Arab Emirates prior to their departure to the UAE.
How to apply for a visa:
- Applying for a tourist visa: For those who are traveling for leisure and spending their holidays in the UAE, travel companies, hotels in the UAE, and UAE national carriers (Emirates Airline Visa Service or Etihad Airways Visa Service) can arrange a proper visa for this purpose.
- The application for a transit visa can be arranged by UAE National Airlines or other airlines, depending on their regulations.
- For information on other types of visa and the conditions, please click here:
Diplomatic and Official passport holders
Please follow the steps below in order to obtain the appropriate visa:
1. Complete the visa application form electronically:
(The application MUST be typed).
2. Send in an original passport, valid for at least another six (6) months from date of application, signed by the bearer.
3. Scan your passport in color (cover and first page of the passport).
4. Send two original passport photos, in color and with a white background (4 cm – 6 cm)
5. Obtain an original verbal note from a government department, governmental agency, Embassy or any UN organization. The verbal note should include the following details: name, status, passport type & number, purpose of the visit, date of the departure from Germany, date of arrival to the UAE and the duration of your stay in the UAE.
6. Send your application form and the necessary requirements mentioned above by email to the UAE Embassy in Berlin: BerlinEMB.CONS@mofaic.gov.ae
7. As soon as we receive the approval from the home government, we will notify you by email to your email address provided in your application form.
8. The Embassy only issues two types of visas (Official visit visa):
Type of Visa
Validity Fee (in Euro)
1. Short-term Visa
Maximum stay is 30 days, non-renewable.
Valid for two (2) months
2. Long-term Visa
Maximum stay is 90 days, non-renewable.
Valid for two (2) months.
All visitors should have a valid return travel ticket and passport valid for a minimum period of 6 months beyond the date of their intended stay.
Resident visas and work permits are issued by the relevant authorities in the UAE after an application from a prospective employer.
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nationals do not require a visa to enter the UAE.
Passport holders of the countries mentioned above do not require a visa prior to entering the United Arab Emirates for business or tourist visits lasting 30 days. These passport holders will receive a one-month non-renewable visa on arrival.
Student visas must be sponsored by one of the licensed Universities or educational institutions in the UAE, which are recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Any person transiting less than 12 hours can stop at the airport until they board their connection flight, provided they have a visa and confirmed ticket to their next / final destination.
All passengers passing through UAE airports while flying to or from Europe, United States, Asia or Africa can obtain a special 96-hour transit visa, which is sponsored by any airline operating in the UAE. The traveler must have a valid ticket for an onward flight and the duration between the two trips must not be more than 8 hours.
Police Clearance Certificate from the UAE
Obtaining a Police Clearance / Good Conduct Certificate from the UAE requires the applicant to produce fingerprints attested by the FCO or another relevant local authority.
1. Two personal passport size photographs
2. Photocopy of the passport bearing the residence permit
3. Photocopy of the current passport if different
4. AED 115 fee for the certificate in cash
Application Form Criminal Antecedents Clearance Certificate .docx
Missing passport for foreign nationals residing in the UAE
- A copy of the old passport and a copy of the certificate of residence
- A copy of the new passport/ Ordinary passport
- Minutes of the German police documenting theft of passport with a translation of the ratification of our consulate into Arabic
- A letter from the employer
- 2 color photographs
FAQs concerning Visa matters:
1. I am a German citizen holding an ordinary passport and planning to travel to the UAE. Do I need a visa to enter the UAE?
No, the visa will be obtained upon arrival.
2. Is there any fee for a holder of a German ordinary passport?
3. What is the duration for a visit visa to the UAE?
Visit visa bearers may stay for a maximum period of 90 days in any 180 day period.
4. I am a German Diplomatic /Service passport holder and planning to travel to the UAE. Do I require a visa to enter the UAE?
German diplomats OR service passport holders: No visa required.
5. I am travelling with an ordinary passport and am not exempted from the visa requirements, but am planning to visit the UAE as a tourist. How do I apply for a visa?
You can arrange the tourist visa in the in the following ways:
- Hotels & tourist companies can apply on your behalf
- UAE national carriers can arrange a visa on your behalf.
- Organisations based in the UAE can apply for visit visas and service visas.
6. I am a holding a Diplomatic / Service passport and planning to visit the UAE for tourism purposes. How do I apply for the visa?
No visa required.
7. I am planning to apply for a visa to visit the UAE. Can I submit the application to the UAE Embassy?
Only a Diplomatic / Official / Service passport holder can apply through the Embassy for official visits.
8. I am holder of an ordinary passport, not exempted from the visa requirement and planning to apply for a visit visa to the UAE. Can I submit the application to the UAE Embassy?
No, you can apply for a visit visa in the following ways:
- Only organisations based in the UAE can apply for visit visas and service visas.
- Individuals (relatives or friends), already residing in the UAE, may apply for a visit visa on your behalf, which is of course subject to guidelines.
9. What are the visa requirements and visa types for visits to the UAE?
Please visit the website of the UAE Ministry of Interior for more details.
10. What are the regulations for the transit visa?
- Only airlines can arrange the transit visa prior to departure.
- Passengers should have a confirmed booking for the third destination.
- The passport must be valid for at least six (6) months.
11. How long does the visa process take, if I submit the application to the Embassy?
(Diplomatic/ Official/ Service passports only):
The visa issuance process usually takes 14 days. Therefore, we recommend to all applicants to submit their applications earlier to avoid any delays. The entry permits, whether for a single entry or multiple entries, depend on the decision of the authority
12. For how long should my passport at least be valid to be able to travel to the UAE (all passport types)?
The passport should be valid for at least another six (6) months and signed by the bearer.
13. I am planning to work or to reside in the UAE. Whom should I contact?
Resident visas and work permits are issued by the relevant authorities. In the UAE, please contact your sponsor (employer) for further details.
14. How long can I stay in the UAE after my first entry?
This depends on the type of visa you have been granted. Please visit the website of the UAE Ministry of Interior for more details.
15. How do I submit my visa application to the Embassy? (Diplomatic, Official and Service passport holders only)
1- Please download the application form:
Visa Application.pdf Additional appendix.docx
2- Submit two passport photographs in color and with a white background (size 4 cm – 6 cm).
3- A verbal note from your Embassy or organisation is necessary.
4- Mention your sponsor (employer) in the application.
5- Clarify the purpose of your visit.
6- Tourist and transit visa can be obtained through travel agencies or any operating hotel. The Embassy only issues three types of visas (short-term visa, long-term visa and multiple-entry visa).
7- Scan your visa application, passport (cover and first page of your passport in color), verbal note and all other documents and send them by email to the UAE Embassy in Berlin for a first screening: BerlinEMB.CONS@mofaic.gov.ae
8- As soon as we receive the approval from the home government, we will notify you by email to the email address provided in your application form.
9- After receiving the approval notification, please send us all required original documents during the admission hours of the consular section for submitting applications from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. The collection of your passport will be possible during the period from 2:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.
10- The Embassy issues only official visit visa.
16. I am travelling to the UAE and hold a travel document. Do the UAE Immigration Departments issue a visa on travel documents?
No, the Embassy and the UAE Immigration Departments do not issue a visa on travel documents.
17. We are a film authority and planning to film during our visit to the UAE. What are the proper ways to acquire permission?
The UAE National Media Council (NMC) can guide you in this matter. Please visit their website to get detailed instructions for obtaining a proper permission to film.
18. I am traveling / on business in the UAE and would like to know the customs regulations and legislation before entering.
Please visit the official website of the UAE Federal Customs Authority to get a clear overview of the customs regulations and related issues.
19. I am planning to visit the UAE and have to take my personal medication with me, since I am receiving medical treatment. What am I supposed to do before my departure to the UAE?
Please do the following:
- Medication prescribed by your doctor: Provide a certified letter by your treating physician or hospital stating that you are under medication treatment course.
- Medication purchased directly from the pharmacy: If you are taking medicine without prescription with you, which you purchased from any pharmacy, please keep the medication package for reference in case the custom offices should ask questions about it.
20.Can I enter the UAE with my stepchildren without their biological parent?
Yes, with written proof of parental responsibility.
21. Can I enter the UAE with my grandchildren?
Yes, with written approval from a parent or guardian.
22. My children have a different surname to mine; do I need a proof of parental responsibility in order to enter the UAE?
It would be advisable.
23. What is the minimum validity period that I need to have in my passport?
Six months, beyond the end of your intended stay. If you hold a residence permit, your passport must be valid for at least six months in order to travel in and out of the country.